Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Chicken, green beans, potatoes

So, this is one of those Pinterest recipes that isn't attached to a webpage. (Gasp! I know, I need to weed out all of my pins that don't take you anywhere. Who has the time??) When you click to open it, it just shows you the picture, and the steps are written in the description. I made a separate board for all of the food I've tried, here, and it's in there. I have so many  pins on my other food page that have a bunch of recipes listed, and I've tried one or 2 of them. I will be going through them over the next few days to switch them over. 

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I was incredibly disappointed in this recipe. I made it awhile ago, not long after I found this pin. This is the point I wish that Pinterest logged the dates on when you pinned things. Usually, I'm totally ok with them not doing that, so you can't see how many things I pin in one day... haha

I give it a 2 out of 5 stars.

The original recipe is as follows:


  • 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I believe I used 4)
  • New potatoes (I used about 5 or so)
  • Green beans (I would recommend frozen over canned. I used frozen broccoli)
  • 1 packet of Italian dressing mix (I used zesty)
  • 1 stick melted butter.



The original picture.

You are supposed to arrange the ingredients like ^^ this in a greased 9x13 pan, cover with foil, and bake at 350 for an hour. 

I first seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper and Nature's Seasons. It's by McCormick (I think) and has a yellow label with a royal blue cap. I LOVE that stuff. I use it on EVERYTHING savory. EVERYTHING. lol The rest I left as is because I was worried about the salt content in the packet. Also, I had never used a salad dressing packet before, so I wasn't sure how the flavor was going to come out, and I was afraid of making it too overpowering. I did toss a bit of chopped garlic over everything as well.

I should have doused the stuff in extra seasonings. It was SO BLAND. I ended up throwing most of it out, because it just sucked. I'm not a big fan of adding a ton of seasonings after something has cooked to try to "fix" it. I like my flavors to meld together while the cooking is taking place. I hate when I feel like I just wasted a bunch of food, especially on something that could have been decent. 

I definitely recommend adding whichever seasonings you like to your chicken and vegetables. Screw the packet mix. The execution was good; the potatoes, chicken, and broccoli all came out properly cooked, but it really lacked any flavor. You could toss a bit of cooked, crumbled bacon on top, add rosemary and thyme to the potatoes, and maybe a bit of parsley and oregano to the chicken to make it delicious. What are some flavors you would add?

No comments:

Post a Comment