Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Easy Chicken Enchiladas

I made this recipe again on Saturday. I have made it before, and was very impressed with it.  I was trying to rush because it was just me and DS. Anyway, the recipe was originally posted here on Food, Family, and Friends' page.

I give this dish 5 out of 5 stars. I LOVE it.

The original recipe calls for:


  • 6-8 corn tortillas (I used multigrain, since it was what I had on hand, and I made them pretty big, so I only used 6)
  • 1 pre-cooked plain rotisserie chicken (I baked 2 good sized chicken breasts @350 for 30 min, seasoned with sea salt, garlic pepper, and Nature's Seasons, turning once mid way through, which I shredded when cooled.)
  • 1 cup sweet corn (I used frozen)
  • 4 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided (I used half Mexican blend, half sharp cheddar.)
  • 3 T butter
  • 3 T all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 C chicken broth (I used only one cup, because I bought pre-portioned 1 cup packs of organic chicken broth, since it's more convenient for my cooking. It was also lower sodium.)
  • 1 10oz can of cream of chicken soup (I used the heart healthy kind)
  • 1 C sour cream (you could also sub plain Greek yogurt, I just didn't have any on hand)
  • 1 4oz can of green chiles
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. I used a glass 9x13 baking dish, but you could also halve this recipe and use a square 8x8 or 9x9 pan. I added a can of black beans to the filling, which is the shredded chicken, corn, and cheese. I mix all my ingredients together and just plop a handful or so in each tortilla, roll them up, and place them seam side down in my pan. 

Ok, here's where I screwed up this time around. I got a little ahead of myself and forgot to make the rue. You're SUPPOSED to melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the flour and cook until that raw flour taste has gone away, so just a couple minutes. Then add the chicken soup, broth, sour cream, and chiles. Season mixture with salt and pepper. I just used pepper, since there is still a lot of salt in the soup, cheese, and broth. Pour the mixture over the tortillas and cover with the remainder of the cheese. Bake for 25-30 min.

This is fresh out of the oven.
Now, I always let mine sit out a bit so that it has time to firm up a little before trying to tackle the messy job of plating this bad boy. :) I can cook with the best of them, but my presentation ALWAYS sucks. lol Maybe one day I can master the skill of plating something without looking like I butchered it.

 This is after about 5 minutes of sitting. Ohhhh, cheesy goodness!
This is my attempt at plating... lol Mine was MUCH runnier this time than the last time I made it since I forgot the rue. I ended up adding a little cornstarch to my mixture, but it didn't help enough.

All in all, I love this recipe. This is great served with some Spanish rice and refried beans, if you like them.  DS eats most of this, except the corn (crazy kid), without complaint. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment