Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread

This was the last recipe I made this weekend. I had 3 overripe bananas on my counter, and I couldn't decide if I wanted to make ice cream or banana bread. Then I thought about banana bread for a moment, and it was a no brainer... :) After pulling up a blog page that only linked back the recipe, I found it on Lovin' From the Oven's blog here

I give this recipe 5 out of 5 stars. It's amazing.

The original recipe calls for:
For the bread:

  • 3 overripe bananas
  • 1/3 C melted butter
  • 3/4 C sugar (I read in the comments that the bread dried out for some people the next day, so I used 1/2 c white sugar and 1/4 c brown sugar to keep it soft.)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking soda (I also used 1 tsp baking powder)
  • pinch of salt (about 1 grind on my sea salt grinder)
  • 1 1/2 c flour
For the cinnamon swirl:
  • 1/3 c sugar (I used about 1/2 white and 1/2 brown and didn't really measure)
  • 1 T cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a loaf pan (I made these as muffins). Mix bananas, butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla together. Sprinkle baking soda over mixture and stir in. Sprinkle flour over the top and fold in, being careful not to overmix. In a small dish, mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Pour half of your batter in your pan, then sprinkle half of your sugar mixture on top. Cover with the remainder of your batter, then top that with the remainder of the sugar mixture. Place in oven and bake 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Ok. Obviously, I made a bunch of changes to this one. Because I used a muffin tin, I only baked them for about 25 minutes. Putting the batter together was pretty much the same. I spooned the mixture into the tins with a Tablespoon, sprinkled the cinnamon sugar, then covered it and repeated. 

The one on the bottom is completely full, the one above it is halfway done.

Once they came out of the oven, I let them cool for about 5 minutes and then took them out and placed them on a plate. I probably overfilled the tins a bit, but it ended up equally filling the 12 tins with no extra batter, so that worked for me. Let me tell you, these were delicious. DS devoured one by himself, I gave some away, and took them to work, and they were a big hit. It's now 2 days later, and even cold, they are still incredibly moist and delicious. DS and I had one right out of the oven with a little butter. SO good!

Not the prettiest things, ever, but we all know that's not what I'm going for... lol

No comments:

Post a Comment